GATE 2021 Registration, Application Form : GATE 2021 Notification will be released by the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay on 3rd September 2020. GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, a national level entrance test conducted jointly by IISc, Bangalore, and one of the IITs on behalf of NCB-GATE, Dept. of Higher Education, MHRD, GOI.
GATE is conducted for admission or financial assistance to the Master’s Program or direct Doctoral Programs in Engineering, Technology, Architecture, or Doctoral Programs in the relevant branches of Science in institutions supported by MHRD and other agencies of Government.
- GATE Apply Online process will start from September 3, 2020 and the last date of registration is September 24, 2020 on the official website@ www.gate.iitb.ac.in.
- GATE 2021 will be held for 25 papers or subjects but a candidate can appear in only one paper.
- GATE Admit Cards will be released on 4th January 2021 and the GATE exam will be conducted on 6, 7, 13, 14 February 2021.
- The GATE exam result will be declared on 16th March 2021.
- GATE 2021 scores are valid for 3 years from the date of the result declaration.
- Important Dates
- Application Fee
- Apply Online
- Exam Pattern
- Exam Date
- Admit Card
- Cut Off
- Exam FAQs
GATE 2021 Important Dates
GATE 2021 important dates are tabulated below.
|Exam Name||GATE 2021 Examination|
|Exam Body||The Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay|
|Exam Type||Entrance exam|
|Application Start||03 September, 2020|
|Last date of Application||24 September, 2020|
|Extended Closing Date of application||01 Oct 2020|
|Application Form Correction||From 15th Oct 2020|
|Request for correction in selected city of exam||Before 15th Nov 2020|
|Mock Test Release Date||To be notified|
|Mode of Exam||Online (computer based test)|
|GATE Admit Card||03 Jan 2021|
|GATE Exam Date||7, 8, 13, 14 Feb 2021|
|Exam Centres||Different cities in India and 6 cities abroad|
|Answer key||After few days of GATE 2021 exam|
|GATE 2021 Result||16th March 2021|
|Scorecard||20th March to 31st May 2021|
|Counseling||1st week of April 2021|
|Official website / Apply online||www.gate.iitb.ac.in.|
GATE Notification 2021
GATE 2021 notification will be released on 3rd Sep 2020 by IIT Bombay. The GATE abbreviated as Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a Computer-based standardized test for admission to Postgraduate courses in the stream of Technology, Engineering, and Architecture or Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Science. GATE Application Form will be available on the official website @www.gate.iitb.ac.in from 3 Sep 2020 to 24 Sep 2020.
- By scoring better marks in the GATE exam, an applicant can get admission into Ph.D. / M.Tech courses in IISc, IITs, IISERs, and other reputed institutions.
- Along with taking admissions, applicants can also use the GATE score for getting a job on the technical posts in Government, PSUs, Private organizations.
- The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering was started in 1984 with an aim to test the comprehensive understanding of scholars in different undergraduate subjects of science and engineering.
- The GATE exam is held together by the IISc (Indian Institute of Science) and seven IITs (Kanpur, Madras, Kharagpur, Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Department of Higher Education, and the Government of India.
- GATE 2021 exam is administered by IIT, Bombay.
GATE Exam 2021 Eligibility
Before filling the GATE online application form, a candidate should confirm that she/he meets the eligibility criteria of the GATE 2021 examination.
There is no age limit prescribed for the GATE examination.
GATE Educational Qualification
Candidates must have completed a Bachelor’s Degree of at least 4 years in the streams of Engineering, Technology, or Master’s Degree in the relevant Science field. Candidates pursuing the final year of the qualifying exam are also eligible to apply.
GATE 2021 Education criteria are given in the below table.
|S. No.||Qualifying degree||Qualifying examination/degree||Year of qualification not later than|
|1||MCA / M.A. / M.Sc. or equivalent||A candidate must have passed in Master’s degree in any stream of Computer Applications / Science / Mathematics / Statistics or equivalent||2021|
|2||B.Arch.||Candidate should have passed in 5-years B.Arch. course / Naval Architecture (4 years course) / Planning (4 years course)||2021|
|3||B.Sc. (research) / B.S.||Candidate have passed in Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma / 4 years after 10+2)||2021|
|4||B.Pharm. / B.Tech. / B.E.||Candidate passed in 4-years Bachelor’s degree in technology / Engineering after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc. / Diploma in technology / Engineering||2021|
|5||Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./B. Arch.)||B.Arch. / B.E./B.Tech. equivalent examinations of professional Societies, recognized by AICTE / UPSC / MHRD (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)||N.A.|
|6||Int. M.E. / M.Tech. or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Candidate passed in 5-years dual degree or integrated Master’s degree course in technology/engineering||2022|
|7||Int. M.Sc. / Int. B.S. - M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or 5 years integrated B.S.-M.S. program||2021|
|8||Int. M.E./ M.Tech. (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology (4 years program)||2023|
GATE 2021 Application Fee
- The GATE 2021 application fee is different as per Gender and Category. Rs. 750/- is the application fee for females and candidates belonging to ST/SC/PWD Categories.
- Candidates belonging to all other categories need to pay Rs. 1500/- as their application fee.
- International students opting for test centers of Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu have to pay the US $50 and Dubai and Singapore center candidates have to pay $100 as their application fee.
- Students can pay their application fee through any of the following modes – debit/credit card, net banking, and e-challan.
|Female/ SC/ST/PWD||Rs. 750/-|
|Other Indian Candidates||Rs. 1500/-|
|Dubai & Singapore||$100|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu||$50|
Fee During Extended Period
- During the extended period, SC / ST / PwD / Female candidates will have to pay an amount of Rs. 1250/- towards GATE 2020 application fee whereas all other candidates will have to pay an amount of Rs. 2000/- towards GATE application fee and $70 for Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu candidates and $120 for Dubai and Singapore center candidates.
GATE 2021 Registration
Interested candidates can register themselves for the GATE 2021 exam through online. Before registration, candidates are advised to read the information bulletin carefully. Few important things to consider before online registration are given below.
- Applicants can apply for GATE Exam 2021 through GATE Online Application Processing System (popularly known as GOAPS)
- GATE online application process will start from 3rd Sep 2020 and the last date to complete all the formalities of the online application process is 24th Sep 2020
- Applicants are advised to fill up their personal as well as other information correctly
- While filling the online application form, candidates need to upload their recent photograph along with the signature in the prescribed format
- Candidates must need to verify their email id and phone number in order to complete the process of their online application
- Applicants need to pay their application fees via online mode
- Candidates can log in into their GOAPS account anytime
- You are advised to keep safe your ENROL ID along with a password to use in the future.
How To Apply – GATE 2021 Online Application
- VISIT the GATE 2021 website
- To apply for the GATE 2021 exam, register as a ‘new user’
- While registering, applicants need to fill up their valid email ID along with mobile number and password of their choice
- During registration, candidates will be asked to upload their documents for example sign, photo, category certificate, and degree certificate
- Don’t forget to pay the online fee as your online application will be considered incomplete without fee submission
- Use Debit/credit card/net banking details to pay the fee online
- You can also edit your form before final form submission
- Take a completed confirmation page of application print out for reference
- Remember that, no correction is possible in the form once you confirm form submission
- Scanned copies of the following documents in PDF format – Educational certificates/mark sheet, SC/ST/PwD category certificate (if applicable)
Documents/Details Needed For GATE 2021 Registration
Candidates interested to appear in GATE 2021 exam have to register themselves online on GATE official website. Below-mentioned following details/documents are needed at the time of online registration.
- Candidate’s personal details (Name, DOB, Personal contact number, Parents’ name, Parents’ contact number, etc.). While filling personal details, make sure your name is the same as in your qualifying degree/certificate or in the documents issued by the Head of the Institute/ Department in which you are pursuing your course. Remember that your GATE 2021 scorecard will be released as per your entered name in the application form. Don’t use Prefix/ title like Mr/Shri/Dr/Mrs/Smt, etc before your name.
- Full Address with PIN code (For communication)
- Qualifying Degree/certificate details
- Present College name with address and PIN code
- The subject for GATE paper
- While filling online application, you need to select GATE examination center city carefully
- Applicant’s good quality image as per the specified format
- Candidate’s good quality signature as per the requisite format
- The applicant must have scanned copies of the required certificate. Make sure all your certificates should be in PDF format. If you are applicable for reservation, you need to upload scanned copies of the SC/ST certificate in PDF format.
- PwD Certificate also needs to be uploaded in PDF format (if applicable)
- Applicant affected with Dyslexia disorder required to upload scanned certificate only in PDF format
- While filling online application, an applicant required to fill up the details of the valid ID ( candidate should carry the mentioned ID in original to the exam center)
- Debit/ Credit or Net-banking card details for fee payment
- Applicant should have scanned copies of Valid Identity Documents in PDF format – Voter ID/ Aadhaar-UID/ Passport/ PAN card/College ID/ Employee ID/ Driving License.
GATE Application Form Correction
Candidates can correct the GATE Application Form 2021 from October 15th upon providing valid proof as follows.
|Type of Correction||Document Required|
|Name of the candidate||Class 10 Standard Certificate/ Passport/ Aadhaar ID/Voter ID/ Driving License|
|Name of Parent||Birth Certificate/ Passport/ Class 10 Certificate|
|Date of Birth||Passport/ Aadhaar ID/Voter ID/ Driving License|
|Qualifying Degree, Status, Year||Degree Certificate/ Final Mark sheet/ Semester Mark sheet/ HoD/ Principal signed certificate|
GATE 2021 Exam Pattern
GATE 2021 exam will be the computer-based tests to be conducted for 25 papers (subjects). However, candidates can appear only in one paper. GATE 2020 examinations will be conducted in both morning and afternoon sessions on 01, 02, 08, and 09 of Feb 2021.
- GATE exam will be held in the Online/ CBT mode.
- Each GATE 2021 examination paper would contain two different types of questions – Multiple Choice Questions and Numerical Answer Type/NAT.
- All the question papers would contain a total of 65 questions of 100 Marks.
- The time duration of all the GATE 2021 papers will be 3 hours.
- In GATE 2021, all papers contain General Aptitude (GA) questions carrying a total of 15 marks.
- There will be negative marking for wrong answers in multiple-choice questions but not in NAT questions.
- Some questions will have 1 mark and some have 2 marks. 1 mark questions will have a negative marking of 1/3 marks and 2 mark questions have 2/3 marks as negative marking for wrong attempts.
|Section||Weightage (AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF, and XE)||AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL Weightage||Total Duration|
List of Subjects/ Papers
A list having names of 25 subjects/papers for which GATE 2020 will be conducted is given below.
|GATE Paper / Subject||Code||GATE Paper / Subject||Code|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Agricultural Engineering||AG|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Civil Engineering||CE|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Petroleum Engineering||PE||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Mining Engineering||MN||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Statistics||CY||Production and Industrial Engineering||CS|
|Chemistry||CY||Computer Science and Information Technology||CS|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG||Ecology and Evolution||EY|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF||-|
|Life Sciences||XL||Engineering Sciences||XE|
Life Sciences and Engineering Sciences papers are of general nature and will have the sections mentioned in the below table.
|Subject/ Section||Code||Subject/ Section||Code|
|Engineering Sciences||XE||Life Sciences||XL|
|Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory)||A||Chemistry (Compulsory)||P|
|Any two optional sections|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F||Food Technology||U|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
GATE Syllabus 2021
GATE Syllabus 2021 for all the 25 papers/subjects is given below. General Aptitude subject is common for all papers. The syllabus for GA is given below.
- Verbal Ability – Critical reasoning, sentence completion, English grammar, word groups, instructions, verbal analogies, and verbal deduction.
- Numerical Ability – Numerical reasoning & data, Numerical computation & estimation, and numerical interpretation.
The syllabus for GATE 2021 Aerospace engineering paper is given below.
- Calculus – Chain rule, partial derivatives, Functions of a single variable, Theorems of Stokes, mean value theorem, maxima and minima, gradient, divergence and curl, limits, continuity, and differentiability, directional derivatives, Integration, Line, surface and volume integrals, Gauss and Green.
- Linear Algebra – Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, Vector algebra, the rank of a matrix, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, etc.
- Differential Equations – Higher order linear ODEs with constant coefficients, First order linear and nonlinear differential equations, separation of variables methods and Partial differential equations, etc.
GATE 2020 Exam Date
GATE exam will be held on 6, 7, 13, 14 February 2021 in various centers across India along with International centers.
GATE 2020 Exam Cities
|Zonal GATE Office||Tentative List of Examination Cities / Towns|
|Examination centres outside India|
|International GATE, IIT Delhi||Singapore, Kathmandu (Nepal), Dubai (UAE), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Colombo (Sri Lanka) and Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)|
|Examination centres in India|
|IIT Roorkee, Roorkee||Noida, Jalandhar, Sonepat, Dehradun, Ghaziabad, Haldwani, Hamirpur-Una (HP), Meerut, Mohali-Chandigarh, Yamunanagar, Ambala, Moradabad, Patiala-Sangrur, Panipat, Bathinda, Pathankot, Roorkee, Shimla-Solan, Kurukshetra, Amritsar, Ludhiana|
|IIT Madras, Chennai||Villupuram, Virudhunagar, Warangal, Chennai South, Guntur, ldukki, Kanyakumari-Nagercoil, Cuddalore, Dindigul, Gudur, Karimnagar, Khammam, Ongole, Kadapa, Kanjirapally, Coimbatore, Pala, Chirala, Chittoor, Chennai West, Kothamangalam, Kottayam, Madurai, Muvattupuzha, Namakkal, Puducherry, Salem, Thanjavur, Thiruvananthapuram, Kodad, Kollam, Nellore, Thoothukudi, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati, Vellore, Alappuzha, Aluva-Ernakulam, Attingal, Chengannur|
|IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur||Balasore, Cuttack, Eluru, Visakhapatnam, Raipur, Berhampur (Odisha), Bhilai, Bhubaneswar, Hooghly (WB), Jamshedpur, Kakinada (AP), Kharagpur, Kolkata, Bilaspur (CG), Vizianagaram, Tadepalligudem, Ranchi, Rourkela, Sambalpur, Srikaulam, Vijayawada, Rajamahendravaram (Rajahmundry)|
|IIT Kanpur, Kanpur||Jabalpur, Allahabad, Bareilly, Gorakhpur, Gwalior, Bhopal, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi, Agra, Aligarh|
|IIT Guwahati, Guwahati||Agartala, Aizawl, Shillong, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Asansol-Durgapur, Bokaro Steel City, Purnea, Patna, Itanagar, Jorhat, Kalyani, Muzaffarpur, Silchar, Burdwan, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Dimapur, Siliguri, Tezpur|
|IIT Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi||Ajmer, Hisar, Indore, Gurugram, Jaipur, Jammu-Samba, Greater Noida, Rohtak, Alwar, Bikaner, New Delhi, Srinagar, Sikar, Udaipur, Ujjain, Jodhpur, Karnal, Kota, Mathura, Faridabad-Palwal|
|IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai||Sangli, Bhuj, Gandhinagar, Goa, Jalgaon, Bhavnagar, Pune, Rajkot, Mumbai-Navi Mumbai-Thane, Nagpur, Aurangabad, Baramati, Kolhapur, Mehsana, Ahmedabad, Nandad, Nashik, Anand, Ahmednagar, Amravati, Ratnagiri, Surat, Satara, Solapur, Vadodara|
|IISc Bangalore, Bengaluru||Port Blair, Shivamogga (Shimoga), Thrissur, Bagalkot, Belagavi (Belgaum), Ananthapuramu, Angamaly, Ballari (Bellary), Bengaluru South, Davanagere, Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Hassan, Palakkad, Payyanur, Hubballi (Hubli), Chikkamagaluru, Malappuram, Mangaluru, Manipal, Mysuru (Mysore), Kasaragod, Kolar, Kozhikode, Kurnool, Tumakuru, Hyderabad, Kannur, Bengaluru North, Bidar, Vatakara|
GATE 2021 Admit Card
All the GATE 2021 appearing candidates are informed that they can download their GATE 2021 admit card only from the GOAPS website from 3rd Jan 2021.
All the candidates must note down that admit cards/hall tickets will be not sent by mail or post. Moreover, a candidate should carry a valid/original photo-identity card along with the downloaded hall ticket to the examination center for verification.
How To Download GATE Admit Card?
- Visit GATE Website @gate.iitb.ac.in
- Click on GATE 2021 Admit Cards
- Enter Enrollment ID or Email ID and Password
- Solve arithmetic expression and log in
- Check GATE Admit Card, Download and Print
Forgot GATE Enrollment ID/Password?
Candidates can retrieve if they forgot Enrollment Id or Password by using the Forgot Enrollment ID/ Forgot Password options.
- Click on Forgot Enrollment Id option and enter registered email to get Enrollment ID
- Click on Forgot Password option and enter registered mobile number to request for OTP to recover Password
GATE 2020 Admit Card Details
GATE 2020 admit card will be having the following details,
- Candidate’s name, photo, and signature
- Registration no.
- GATE paper for which candidate is appearing
- Name and address of the exam center
- Date, date and time of GATE 2020 exam
- Signature of GATE organizing chairman
- Instructions for candidates to be followed on the day of examination
Documents For Exam
- Valid GATE Admit Card
- Valid Original Photo ID card
Along with GATE 2020 admit card, candidates will also have to bring any of the following ID cards to the examination center otherwise they won’t be allowed to write the GATE 2020 exam.
|For Indian Candidates||For International candidates|
|Aadhaar card||Employee ID|
|Permanent driving license||College ID|
|Employee ID||ID issued by Government|
|College ID||Valid Passport|
GATE 2021 Result & Scorecard
GATE result 2021 will be declared on 16th March 2021 on the GATE 2021 official website. GATE 2021 score will be valid for three years from the date of the result declaration. Candidates can download GATE Scorecard from 20 March 2020 to 31st May 2021.
Once this period is over, candidates will have to pay an amount of Rs. 500/- in order to download the soft copy of their GATE scorecard. However, this facility can be availed till 31 Dec 2021 only.
How To Check Result and Score Card?
- Visit GATE website and click on GATE 2021 Result
- Enter Registration No., Enrollment ID, and Date of Birth
- Click on Submit button
- Check whether qualified or Not
How to Get the Scorecard?
- Log in using Enrollment ID / Email Address and Password
- Solve the arithmetic expression
- Click on Submit
- Check scorecard and Download
Note: If you have forgotten Enrolment ID/ Password, retrieve using ‘Forgot Enrollment ID/Password option’
Details on GATE Scorecard
GATE Scorecard 2021 contains details like,
- Candidate Personal Details
- Overall Score obtained
- Qualifying Marks
- All India Rank
GATE Cut Off 2021
GATE cut-off list will be published on the GOAPS website after the result declaration. Candidates are requested to check the official website after the result declaration for the cut-off.
GATE Cut Off 2020
|Paper Name||Paper Code||SC/ST/PwD||OBC (NCL)||General|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||32.8||44.3||49.3|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||PI||21.3||28.8||32|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG||21.5||29.1||32.4|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||29.2||39.5||43.9|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||16.6||22.5||25|
|Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF||21.4||28.9||32.2|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||16.6||22.5||25|
GATE CCMT and GATE COAP will conduct counseling for GATE 2021. Qualified candidates can register at the respective portals for admission.
- GATE COAP – Candidates must register at Common Offer Acceptance Portal (COAP) @coap.iitm.ac.in along with individual IIT websites for admission to IIT’s.
- GATE CCMT – Candidates must register at CCMT portal (Centralized Counselling for M.Tech) for admission to NITs.
COAP Counseling Process
- Online Registration – Register, Pay the Counseling Fee & Fill Preferred Program
- Online Seat Allotment
- Fee Payment for Seat Acceptance
- Document Verification
- Admission to Allotted Institutes – Payment of Course Fee at allotted Institute, Admission Letter.
GATE Preparation Tips
- Know about GATE Exam
- Keep a Copy of Syllabus and Exam Pattern
- Gather Books for Preparation
- Prepare Strategy
- Start Preparation Early
- Keep Concepts Strong
- Practice Mock Tests
- Focus on Full-Length Tests
- Manage Time
- Peace of Mind
- Find Mistakes & Analyse
GATE Exam 2021 FAQs
Q. Who Is Eligible For The GATE Exam?
A. Candidates with the education of Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Technology, and Architecture (4 years after 10+2/ Post B.Sc.,/ Post-Diploma) are eligible to appear in the GATE exam. Candidates pursuing their final year in the mentioned courses are also eligible to apply.
Q. What Is The Full Form Of GATE?
A. GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering.
Q. What Is The GATE Exam?
A. GATE is a national level entrance test conducted for admission/ financial assistance to Master Programs or Doctoral programs in the streams of Engineering, Technology, and Architecture or Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Science.
Q. Is A Physical Calculator Allowed In The GATE Exam?
A. No, Physical calculator is not allowed in the GATE exam, however, you can use the online calculator provided on the screen.
Q. Is GATE Tougher Than JEE?
A. Aptitude wise JEE is tougher than GATE because Aptitude questions are tough and one needs a better understanding of concepts. Patter wise JEE is simpler than GATE, in which JEE has Objective Questions, and GATE has more than 60% Numerical Answer Type questions. You will have only 2 years to prepare for JEE and for GATE one can prepare during their Graduation which is longer.
Q. Is GATE Tough?
A. GATE is overall considered tough but with the right preparation, one can score well. Seats are limited in premier Institutes and competition is high for PSU jobs as well. Candidates must spend time preparing for the GATE exam by covering the vast syllabus and manage time by practicing mock question papers. Exam curriculum may be hard but with proper preparation, GATE is not that hard.
Q. What Is A Good Rank/Score In GATE?
A. A good score is perceived to be the one in which candidates can get admission to any of the IITs, NITs, IIITs, or jobs in PSU through GATE.
Q. How Many Times I Can Attempt GATE?
A. There are no restrictions on the GATE number of attempts. You can appear as many times as you can.
Q. What Is The Age Limit For The GATE Exam?
A. There is no age limit prescribed for the GATE exam but the candidate must possess the prescribed educational qualification to appear in the GATE exam.
Q. When Will GATE 2021 Held?
A. GATE 2021 exam will be held on 7, 8, 13, 14 Feb 2021.