IIT JAM 2021 notification will be released by IIT Guwahati. IIT JAM exam will be conducted every year for admissions into M.Sc., PG Science courses at IITs, IISc, IISERs, and other institutes. IIT JAM Registration will commence from 5th September 2020 and the last date to apply online is 10 October 2020.
- IIT JAM 2021 exam will be conducted by IIT Guwahati on 10th February 2021.
- IITs and IISc are the most premier educational institutions in India. IIT stands for Indian Institute of Technology, IIS is Indian Institute of Sciences whereas IISERs is Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research.
- IITs, IISc, IISERs are well known for quality education in technology and science, engineering, and hold national importance.
- At IITs and IISs, students can pursue world-class courses in basic science and technology. Students can only get admission in M.Sc and PG courses after qualifying IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc.)
IIT JAM is one of the most challenging entrance tests in India after JEE also known as IIT JEE. Since 2004, IIT JAM is being conducted to take admissions in the various courses available at the IITs, IISc, and other institutes. By cracking IIT JAM, students are eligible for taking admission in any of the below-mentioned courses.
Courses At IITs
[Bhubaneswar, Bombay, Delhi, Dhanbad, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Guwahati, Madras, Patna, Roorkee, Ropar, Varanasi, Bhilai & Palakkad]
- M.Sc. (4 semesters)
- Joint M.Sc. & Ph.D.
- M.Sc.- Ph.D. Dual degree
Courses At IISc, Bangalore
- Integrated Ph.D. Degree programs
These postgraduate courses available at IISc and IITs provide world-class quality education in their respective areas.
IIT JAM 2021 Official Notification
IIT JAM 2021 notification will be released by IIT Guwahati in September 2020 which contains important dates, course and admission details. IIT JAM 2021 exam’s related important dates are given below.
Download IIT JAM 2021 Notification/Brochure Pdf
- IIT JAM online registration process will start from 5th Sep 2020. Candidates need to register and fill the application form on the JAM 2021 website @https://www.iitg.ac.in/gate-jam/.
- The last date for submitting the online application form with fee and uploading required documents is 10th October 2021.
- The date of the IIT JAM 2021 exam is 10th February 2021 and IIT JAM 2021 results will be announced on 20th March 2021.
IIT JAM 2021 Important Dates
|Exam name||IIT JAM 2021|
|Exam conducted by||IIT Guwahati|
|Also known as||IIT Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. 2021|
|Essential Qualification||Must have a bachelor’s degree in the respective subject applying for|
|Registration Start Date||September 05, 2020|
|Registration Last Date||October 10, 2020|
|Mode of exam||Online|
|Admit Card Download||January 04, 2021|
|Mock Test link||January 10, 2021|
|Exam Date||7th February 2021 (Sunday)|
|Session I exam timing||9:00 AM TO 12:00 Noon|
|Session II exam timing||2:00 PM TO 5:00 PM|
|Exam centres||In all Indian Major cities|
|Result||March 20, 2021|
|Rank and Merit list||April 05, 2021|
|Application form for admission||April 11 to 24, 2021|
|Declaration of First Admission List||To be notified|
|Declaration of Second Admission List||To be notified|
|Declaration of Third and Final Admission List||To be notified|
|Official website / apply online @||http://jam.iitkgp.ac.in|
IIT JAM 2021 Eligibility Criteria
IIT JAM Eligibility criteria are mentioned below.
- There is no age restriction to appear in IIT JAM 2021 entrance test.
Minimum Educational Qualifications
For M.Sc. Biotechnology
A candidate has a Bachelor’s degree in any branch or subject along with Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject. This course will be offered in the following institutes – IITB, IITI, IITR
For M.Sc. Ph.D. dual degree course in Environmental Engineering and Science
A candidate has a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following subjects – Biotechnology, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics along with Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject. This course will be available only at IIT Bombay.
For M.Sc. Chemistry
A candidate has a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry along with Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject. This course will be available in the following institutions- IITRPR, IITISM, IITK, IITM, IITP, IITR, IITB, IITD, IITG, IITGN, IITH, IITI, IITJ, IITBHU, IITBhilai & IITPKD.
For Joint M.Sc. Ph.D. in Chemistry
A candidate has a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry along with Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject. This course will be available in the following institutions- IITKGP and IITBBS
For M.Sc. Ph.D. Dual Degree in Environmental Science and Engineering
A candidate has a Bachelor’s degree in any of Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics for two years/four semesters, and any one of the other four subjects for at least one year/two semesters along with Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject. This course is available in IITB only.
For Joint M.Sc. Ph.D. in Atmosphere and Ocean Sciences
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Physics and Mathematics with any one of these subjects among Computer Application, Geology, Chemistry, Computer Science, and Statistics. This course is available only in IITBBS.
For M.Sc. in Applied Geology
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Geology for three years/six semesters and any two subjects among Chemistry, biological Science, Mathematics, and Physics along with Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject. This course is available at IITB and IITR.
For M.Sc. in Applied Statistics and Informatics and M.Sc. Ph.D. Dual Degree in Operations Research
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics or Mathematics for at least two years/ four semesters. Both courses are available in IITB only.
Note – To know more academic programs offered by the admitting institutes and their minimum educational qualifications for admission please go through official notification/brochure. Link to view/download or read brochure is given above.
IIT JAM 2021 Application Fee
Candidates must note down that the IIT JAM application fee is non-refundable in any case. Female/SC/ST/PwD candidates have to pay a fee of Rs.750/- for one test paper and Rs.1050/- for two test papers. All other candidates need to pay a fee of Rs.1500/- for one test paper and Rs.2100/- for two test papers.
IIT JAM 2021 Application Form
IIT JAM Application Forms for admissions through the entrance test will be available only at the JAM web portal. Interested candidates must check eligibility conditions of the course applying for to apply for the exam.
Only online application forms will be accepted. So, candidates are requested to apply online through JOAPS (JAM Online Application Processing System) which is available at JAM’s official website.
How To Apply for IIT JAM 2021 Exam?
Step 1: Registration
A candidate must need to register on the JOAPS website. The following details are necessary for registration- candidate’s name, valid E-mail ID, and working mobile number. Once online registration is done, the candidate gets a unique enrolment ID along with a password.
Step 2: Log in
Now with the enrolment ID and password, the candidate needs to login to his/her account at the website to apply for the examination online.
Step 3: Upload Documents
Now a candidate needs to upload a photo, sign, and other documents (if applicable).
Step 4: Application Status
Candidates can also check their online application status at any time by just login into their online account with the same enrolment ID and password. The following are the application status showed on the website – Under scrutiny, Received, Accepted, Rejected with valid reasons, Status after rectification, Defect status, Admit card ready for download, etc.
Step 5 – Download
candidate can download the duly submitted Application Form and at a later stage can download e-admit cards through JAM’s website.
Note – All the candidates applying online should keep a hard copy of their online application form and payment receipt for future use.
List of Documents Needed
- Candidate’s information (Name, Age, father’s name, etc.) as per the 10th/12th or qualifying degree mark sheet/certificate.
- Communicative address with Area PIN code
- Scanned copies of documents in the required format
- Credit/debit card/net banking details to pay online fee
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Date
IIT JAM 2021 entrance test will be conducted in two sessions on 7th Feb 2021 (Sunday). The first session (morning session ) timing will be from 9 am to 12 noon and the second session (noon session) timing will be from 2 pm to 5 pm.
|Date of Examination||Session||Time||Test Papers and Codes|
|10 February 2021||I||9:00 AM TO 12:00 Noon||Physics (PH)|
Biological Sciences (BL)
|II||2:00 PM TO 5:00 PM||Mathematical Statistics (MS)|
IIT JAM 2021 Exam General Information
- Candidates from any country can apply for IIT JAM 2021 entrance test. However, foreign candidates need to follow guidelines and rules outlined by the exam conducting authority.
- Applicants who want to take admission in any program covered under JAM must have to qualify in IIT JAM 2021 exam.
- IIT JAM 2021 exam will be a CBT (computer-based test). IIT JAM 2021 will be conducted on 7th Feb 2021.
- For admission in a particular academic course, a candidate must need to appear in the relevant entrance paper. Moreover, the candidates also satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria outlined for the respective academic course.
- Final year students can also apply for IIT JAM 2021 exam. However, at the time of counseling, they need to produce original relevant documents such as final year mark sheet, grade card, certificates, etc. They need to present a proof of having cleared the qualifying exam.
- Admission to every program will be based on merit in the exam.
- There is no age restriction for candidates appearing in IIT JEE 2021 exam.
- There will be a reservation of seats as per the laws of the government of India.
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Pattern
IIT JAM 2021 question paper will be divided into three sections – A, B, and C. Candidates note down that all sections are compulsory. Each section consists of different type of questions as given below:
|IIT JAM Pattern||Section A||Section B||Section C|
|Marks||10 Questions - 1 Mark|
20 Questions - 2 Marks
|2 Marks||10 Questions - 1 Mark|
10 Questions - 2 Marks
|Type of Questions||MCQs||MSQs||NAT|
(1 Mark Question - 1/3 marks)
(2 Mark Questions - 2/3 Marks)
|Time Duration||3 Hours|
There will be a total of 60 questions carrying 100 marks to be solved in 3 hours.
- Section A – This section contains 30 objective type questions. 10 questions are of 1 Mark each and rest 20 questions are of 2 marks each. There will be four options given for each question. Candidates need to select the right option.
- Section B – This section contains a total of 10 MSQ type questions and each question carries two marks. In this section, candidates need to select more than one option if applicable. A candidate needs to choose the answer(s) by clicking the choice(s).
- Section C – This section of the question paper contains 20 NAT type questions. NAT stands for Numerical Answer Type. 10 NAT questions will be of 1 mark each and the rest of the questions will be of 2 marks each.
Note – Negative marking will be applicable in ‘Section A’ only. For every incorrect answer of 2 marks questions, 2/3 marks will be deducted and similarly, for every incorrect answer of 1 mark questions, 1/3 marks will be deducted. There will be no negative marking in ‘Section B’ & ‘Section-C (NAT)’ as well.
IIT JAM 2021 Syllabus
IIT JAM Syllabi for all the seven test papers are given below
|Download IIT JAM Subject wise Syllabus||Contents|
|Biological Science (BL)||General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biophysics, Microbiology, Cell Biology & Immunology, and Mathematical Sciences.|
|Biotechnology (BT)||Biology (10+2+3 level), Chemistry (10+2+3 level), Mathematics (10+2 level) and Physics (10+2 level).|
|Chemistry (CY)||hysical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry.|
|Geology (GG)||The Planet Earth, Structural Geology, Palaeontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, and Economic Geology.|
|Mathematics (MA)||Sequences & series of Real Numbers, Functions of One Real Variable, Functions of Two or Three Real Variables, Integral Calculus, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, and Real Analysis.|
|Mathematical Statistics (MA)||Few topics of Mathematics such as Sequences & Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, and Matrices. Few topics of Statistics like Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Testing of Hypotheses, Estimation, Limit theorems, Sampling & Joint distributions.|
|Physics (PH)||Solid State Physics, Devices & Electronics, Modern Physics, Kinetic Theory & thermodynamics, Electricity & Magnetism, Oscillations, Waves & Optics, Mechanics & General Properties of Matter and Mathematical methods.|
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Cities
IIT JAM exam will be conducted through an association of eight zones. Click here to get complete details of zones along with exam centers.
- IISc Bangalore Zone
- IIT Bombay Zone
- IIT Delhi Zone
- IIT Guwahati Zone
- IIT Kharagpur Zone
- IIT Kanpur Zone
- IIT Madras Zone
- IIT Roorkee Zone
IIT JAM Old Question Papers and Mock Exam
A candidate can download old question papers/ previous year question papers from the official website. Click here to download old question papers.
A candidate can also attend a mock exam from 10 January 2021, till the examination date.
IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card
IIT JAM 2021 admit cards will be available on the official website from 4th Jan 2021, till the exam date. All the candidates are requested to download and print the admit card by logging into their account. A candidate needs to bring a hard copy of his/her admit card along with a valid photo ID proof to the examination venue/center.
- Visit the IIT JAM website
- Click on JAM Admit Card link
- You will be redirected to JAM login page
- Enter login credentials like Enrolment ID/Email & Password
- Solve the arithmetic expression and click on ‘Submit’
- Admit Card will be displayed
- Take printout
Note: If you forgot Enrollment ID and Password, use Forgot option to retrieve the details.
IIT JAM 2021 Result, Rank and Merit List
- The IIT JAM result (Merit List) will be announced on 20th March 2021 by the exam conducting authorities on the JAM web portal. All the candidates are requested to check the results on the IIT JAM 2021 website.
- IIT JAM All India Rank and test paper wise All India Merit List category wise will be announced on the official website.
- The number of candidates in the All India Merit List depends on the total number of seats available for each category in the corresponding test subject.
- IIT JAM Scorecard and Marks will be available to download from 31st March to 31st July 2021 at the JAM website.
- Tie Breaking: Candidates higher score ration of positive marks to negative marks are given higher rank and if it fails to break a tie, the candidates will be given the same rank.
IIT JAM 2021 Cut Off
All the admission to M.Sc. courses will be done on the basis of the final cut off. To know the exact cut off percentile, candidates have to wait until the final result declaration.
- Candidates qualified in the JAM only can apply for admission in the respective course at IITs.
- Candidates are required to fill the admission application form at the JAM website.
- Based on the test paper qualified, candidates can apply for one or more courses subject to fulfilling Minimum Educational Qualification and Eligibility Requirements of a particular Institute.
- Candidates need to upload the valid OBC-NCL/EWS certificate issued after 31 March 2020 at the time of filling the online application form for admission after the JAM result. Otherwise, the candidate will be considered under General Category for the purpose of admission.
- The application form must be complete with a successful payment for admission.
- The candidate will be considered for admission as per the choice in the admission form.
- Order of preference and corresponding rank in the merit list will be considered for admission and 1st admission round/list will be released on the JAM website and communicated through SMS/Email also.
- Candidates have to check website/ SMS/Email periodically and check the admission status
- Once the admission offer is received, visit the JOAPS IIT JAM website and choose one among 3 options.
- Accept & Freeze – Accepts offered seats and do not want to upgrade to higher preferences and participate in further rounds
- Accept with Upgrade – Accepts offered seats and want to upgrade to higher preferences and participate in further rounds
- Reject & Quit – Reject offered seat and quit the process and will not be considered for further rounds.
- If seats are vacant after 1st round of admission, the organizing Institute will release 2nd round of admission list. The candidates have to follow the same process of accepting/ Upgrading/ Rejecting the seat as mentioned above.
- The seat booking payment is Rs. 1000/- for General/OBC and Rs.500/- for reserved category candidates and should pay online only. The payment will be adjusted against the Institute fee at the time of admission.
- Candidates can ‘Cancel’ the seat between a certain period by choosing ‘Withdraw’ option. The seat booking fee will be refunded back after deducting processing fee.
- If seats remain vacant, the third and final list will be announced on the JAM website.
- Report at the Admitting Institute with the required documents based on the offer letter for admission.
IIT JAM 2021 Admitting & Results Sharing Institutes
|Admitting Institute||Results sharing Institutes|
|-||Centralized Counselling for M.Sc. / M.Sc. (Tech) for NITs (CCMN) & IISER Institutes|
|IIT Bhubaneswar||SLIET Punjab||IISER Institutes|
|IIT Bombay||IIEST Shibpur||IISER Bhopal|
|IIT Delhi||NIT Warangal||IISER Pune|
|IIT Gandhinagar||NIT Srinagar, J&K||IISER Tirupati|
|IIT Guwahati||NIT Silchar||-|
|IIT Hyderabad||NIT Rourkela||-|
|IIT Indore||VNIT Nagpur||-|
|IIT Jodhpur||NIT Nagaland||-|
|IIT Kanpur||NIT Manipur||-|
|IIT Kharagpur||NIT Jamshedpur||-|
|IIT Madras||NIT Jalandhar||-|
|IIT Patna||MNIT Jaipur||-|
|IIT Roorkee||NIT Durgapur||-|
|IIT Ropar||NIT Calicut||-|
|IIT Varanasi||NIT Arunachal Pradesh||-|
|IIT Bhilai||MNNIT Allahabad||-|
|IIT Dhanbad||NIT Agartala||-|
|IIT Palakkad||IISc Bangalore - Integrated PhD |
(JAM Score + Apply Separately)