Candidates who are interested in appearing for CAT 2021 exam should know about the exam pattern, syllabus, marking scheme, etc. IIM Indore will conduct CAT 2021 exam on 29th November 2021 at various examination centers around the country. CAT Notification will be released on 5th August on CAT official website @ iimcat.ac.in/.
For the convenience of the candidates, we have provided all the information regarding the CAT exam pattern, syllabus, and selection process that the candidates should know if they are appearing in the CAT 2021 examination.
CAT 2021 Important Dates
Candidates planning to appear in the Common Aptitude Test should know about the below mentioned important dates.
|CAT 2021 Event||Date|
|Admit Card||28th October 2021|
|Examination||29th November 2021|
CAT Exam Pattern 2021
- CAT 2021 exam will be conducted in the online mode in two sessions in a single day.
- The first session will be in the morning from 9 AM to 12 PM and the second session will be the evening session starting from 2 PM and concluding at 5 PM.
- CAT 2021 exam will be consist of 100 questions out of which some will be MCQs and some will be TITA (Type In the Answer), these questions will be further divided into three sections namely VARC, DILR, and QA.
- To answer all the questions in each section, candidates will get 60 minutes.
- All the questions will be in the English language and candidates will get 4 choices in the multiple-choice questions.
- There will be negative marking in CAT 2021, for every incorrect answer 1 mark will be deducted.
|Section||MCQs||Non-MCQs||Total Questions||Total marks||Duration|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||24||10||34||102||60 minutes|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||24||8||32||96||60 minutes|
|Quantitative Aptitude||24||10||34||102||60 minutes|
Note: Negative marking is only applicable for MCQs only, and there will also not be any negative marking for unanswered questions.
- CAT 2021 exam will have 100 questions distributed into 3 sections. Each section will test the proficiency of the candidates in different aspects of the field of study.
- Section 1 will contain questions related to Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension. There will be 34 questions in Section 1 out of which 24 will be multiple choice questions and the remaining 10 will be Non-MCQs.
- Section 2 will consist of Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning questions
- Section 3 will have 24 MCQs but there will only 8 Non-MCQs.
- The marking scheme and time limit will be the same for all three sections. You will get 60 minutes to answer all the questions in each section.
- For each correct answer, you will receive 3 marks and every incorrect answer will cost you 1 mark, but no marks will be deducted for incorrectly answering a Non-MCQ question or for leaving a question unanswered.
CAT Syllabus 2021
Below we have given the CAT 2021 syllabus. Prepare according to the provided syllabus to score better in the CAT 2021 exam.
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Jumbled paragraphs
- Sentence completion
- Phrasal verbs
- Fill in the blanks
- Error correction
- Para Summary
- Irrelevant statements
- Complete last sentence of paragraphs
- Active and passive, etc.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Pie charts
- Data analysis
- Data comparison
- Bar charts
- Venn diagram
- Data charts
- Line graph
- Data arrangement
- Seating arrangement
- Data sufficiency
- Blood relations
- Input and output
- Team formation
- Series, etc.
- Surds and Indices
- Time Distance and Speed
- Critical path
- Profit or loss
- Case lets
- Complex numbers
- Simple and compound interest
- LCM and HCF, etc.
CAT Exam Date 2021
CAT 2021 exam will be conducted on 29th November 2021 by IIM Indore and the exam will be held in more than 140 cities at over 4000 examination centers all across the country.
Candidates who are interested in appearing for the CAT exam should mark their calendar as 29th November will be the most important date for all the CAT 2021 aspirants.
CAT Selection Process 2021
The selection process for each participating IIM and B-School will be slightly different but there will be some common features in the selection process of each participating IIM and B-school. First, each participating IIM and B-School will release the cut off list, only the candidate who has a valid CAT Score of more or equal to the cut off will be able to apply for admission in these IIMs and B-Schools.
Candidates who qualify in the cut-off screening will be called for further rounds of the selection process, i.e. Group Discussion / Writing Ability and Personal Interview. After conducting all these rounds of the selection process, the IIMs and B-Schools will release their final selection list.
CAT 2021 Exam Pattern and Syllabus FAQs
Q. When The CAT 2021 Exam Will Be Conducted?
A. CAT 2021 exam is scheduled to be conducted on 29th November 2021.
Q. Will There Be Negative Marking In The CAT 2021 Exam?
A. Yes. The CAT 2021 exam will consist of MCQs and Non-MCQs. There will be negative marking only for Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and for Non-MCQs there will be no negative marking. You will get 3 marks for every correct answer and 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect MCQ and there will be no deduction of marks for not answering a question.
Q. Will I Get Direct Admission In IIM After Qualifying CAT 2021?
A. No, CAT Score is one of the important factors in admission to IIMs. After qualifying CAT 2021 you will have to go through the IIM admission process in which you want to take admission.
Q. How Many Questions Will Be Asked In CAT 2021 Exam?
A. CAT 2021 Exam will have a total of 100 questions which will be divided into three sections.
Q. CAT 2021 Will Be A Written Exam or Computer-based Exam?
A. CAT 2021 will be a Computer Based Exam.