UPSC Civil Services 2018 & IFoS Notification 2018 :-
UPSC Civil services & Indian Forest Service (IFoS) 2018 official preliminary notification has been released by Union Public Service Commission for conducting Civil Services examination for the year 2018. As per Official notification there will be a total of 782 vacancies of IAS, IPS and other central services like IRS, IFS, IRTS etc and 110 vacancies of IFoS will be filled.
- Age Limit
- Education Qualification
- Application Fee
- Application Form
- Apply Online
- Exam Dates
- Exam Pattern
- Admit Card
- Cut Off
Here know about all the details of UPSC Civil Services 2018 examination including notification, Eligibility, Application form, Exam pattern, Syllabus, Exam dates, Admit Cards, Result, Cutoff etc.
About Civil services
Civil services exam is the most prestigious and one of the toughest exams in India. Many people dream about clearing this exam but only few through their hard work and dedication clear this exam. By clearing this exam, one can become IAS, IPS and other central service job holders in government departments. The board that conducts these exams is known as UPSC and this exam is conducted annually. Candidates have to pass through three processes to pass the exam- Prelims, Mains and Personal interview.
UPSC 2018 Civil Services Notification
UPSC has released Civil services 2018 Official Notification on 7th February 2018 to fill the All India Services and Central Services vacancies of around 782 for the year 2018. The Official Notification is available on official website of UPSC.
Quick Look Of UPSC Civil Services 2018
|Exam Conducted by||UPSC|
|Exam Name||Civil Services Examination|
|Application Start Date||07.02.2018|
|Application Last Date||6th March 2018|
|Prelim Admit Card||May 2018|
|Prelim Exam Date||3rd June 2018|
|Prelim Result||July 2018|
|Main Admit Card||September 2018|
|Main Exam||28.09.2018 ( 5 days)|
|Main Result||November 2018|
|Personal Interview e call letter||November 2018|
|Personal Interview||From November 2018|
|Final Result||Yet to be released|
UPSC 2018 Civil Services Eligibility Criteria
Detailed UPSC Civil services 2018 exam eligibility criterion is given in the official notification. A candidate should fulfill the eligibility criterion to appear in the in the examination.
- A candidate must be Citizen of India to appoint as IAS or IPS.
- For other services, he/ she can be,
(a) Citizen of India
(b) Subject of Nepal/ Bhutan
(c) Tibetan refugee
(d) PIO migrated to India.
Subject to (b), (c), (d) are not eligible to be appointed to Indian Foreign Service.
UPSC Civil Services 2018 Age Limit
A candidate should be of minimum 21 years old to appear for the preliminary exam and should have not attained 32 years of age as on 1st August 2018. The upper age limit is relaxable as follows.
Upper Age Limit and Number Of Attempts
- A general category candidate can give 6 attempts up to the age of 32 years.
- An OBC category student can give 9 attempts up to the age of 35 years.
- An ST/SC category student can give unlimited number of attempts up to the age of 37 years.
- A citizen of Jammu and Kashmir has same criteria as that of ST/SC candidate.
- Defense personnel who got disabled in war or operation or visit to foreign countries or deadly area can give an unlimited attempt up to the age of 35 years.
- Ex-serviceman can give unlimited attempts till the age of 37 years.
- Physically handicapped and disabled person can give 9 attempts till the age of 42 years.
Note – ST/SC and OBC category candidates can get the benefit of cumulative age. For example- if a person is OBC and ex-serviceman, he gets extension up to 12 years more to sit for the exam.
UPSC Civil Services 2018 Education Qualification
A candidate should have a degree from any university incorporated by State or Central legislation or institutions enacted by an act of Parliament or deemed university under sec 3 of UGC Act 1956 or should possess an equivalent qualification. A final year students can also appear in the preliminary examination subject to producing result certificate before main examination failing which the candidate will not be allowed to appear in the main examination.
Restriction To Apply For UPSC 2018 Civil Services
A person appointed to serve as IAS, IFS on the result of previous examination and continue to be a member of services cannot apply for the examination.
He/ She must be physically fit for admission to the civil services. Physical Standards has been given in Rules for examination Annexure III published in Indian gazette. Click here to check the physical Standard and medical related information for admission to civil Services.
Height and Chest girth
Height and chest girth for certain services as follows.
|IRTS||Men||152 cm||84 cm||5 cm|
|Women||150 cm||79 cm||5 cm|
Other Central Police services Group A & B
|Men||165 cm||84 cm||5 cm|
|Women||150 cm||79 cm||5 cm|
Note : Rlaxation for Certain categories for the post of IPS and RPF Group A and Other Central police services of Group A & B. Categories of Scheduled Tribes and races such as Gorkhas, Nagaland, Assamese, Kumaonis are having relaxation as per below.
- Men -160 cm
- Women- 145 cm
UPSC Civil Services 2018 Application Fee
A candidate must pay Rs. 100/- as application fee either online or offline before due date. A candidate belonging to SC/ST/PH along with Female candidates are exempted from payment of fee. However OBC candidates have to pay payment in full.
Payment can be done using Credit/ debit card or Net banking if paying online. If paying offline, candidate has to generate Payment Slip after Registration Part II and has to make payment at any SBI branch or any other branches prescribed in the notification before due date.
UPSC 2018 Civil Services Application Form
Civil Services 2018 Online Application form is available on the website of UPSC. Interested candidates have to submit online application before the last date of application. A candidate must submit only one online application form, if under unavoidable situation, multiple applications are submitted, the application with highest Registration ID will be considered as valid and will be considered for issuing admit card. Fee of one application form will not be adjusted to the other in case of multiple applications.
UPSC 2018 Apply Online
UPSC Civil Services 2018 OR IFoS 2018 Detailed process of filling Online Application form has been given below.
- Log in to UPSC official website
- On Home page find and click on Examination Notifications
- Find Civil Services 2018 Exam notification and click
- Read complete notification and go back to home page
- Click on Apply Online button
- Click on Online Application for various Examinations of UPSC
- You will be directed to upsconline.nic.in
- Find Civil Services (Preliminary) 2018 Examination
- Click on part I registration
- Enter details like Name, Gender, DOB, Fathers Name, Mothers Name, Nationality, Marital Status, PH Category, Community, Creamy Layer, Community Certificate Date, Minority Status, Fee Remission Claimed, Address, Email, Age Relaxation Claimed & Its Category, Education Qualification, Degree subject, For which examination you like to be considered, Graduation percentage, No of attempts made, centre of Main examination, Optional Subject, Language Medium Paper I to VII, Language for Paper A.
- Choose centre for IFoS Main if appearing in IFoS, Optional subject I and II, Enter No of attempts made in IFoS.
- Then click on Submit after declaration
- Registration ID will be generated. Proceed with Part II of Registration form
- Pay required payment Online/ Offline
- Select exam centre for Prelim exam, upload Photo and Signature and click on submit
- Save final submitted application
Note : For Any Clarification on application, candidature applicants can contact facilitation counter of UPSC near Gate C of UPSC campus. A candidate can also contact UPSC facilitation counter over phone between 10am – 5pm on all working days. Tell No :- 011-23385271/ 011-23098543/ 011-23381125
UPSC Civil Services 2018 Exam Dates
- Preliminary exam will be conducted offline on 3rd June 2018.
- Mains exam will be conducted from 28.09.18 for 5 days.
UPSC 2018 Civil Services Exam Pattern
Civil service exam is a 3 stage examination. The first stage is preliminary exam which is conducted in the month of June for the year 2018. Second stage is a Main examination which is conducted in September 2018 and finally Interview or personality Test. Final result will be declared by UPSC in the year 2019. The marks scored by candidates in mains and interviews are taken into consideration for declaring all over India rank. The competition level in this exam is quite high because candidates from all over India appear in this exam. Only hard work and smart approach towards study can make them pass flying colors.
A detailed examination pattern is tabulated below.
|I. Preliminary||Paper I - GS paper||100||200||2||(Cutoff Considered for Promoting to Main exam )
|Paper II - Aptitude Test||80||200||2||(Qualifying- Minimum 33%)|
|Paper A – Indian language||-||300||3||Qualifying|
|Paper B – English paper||-||300||3||Qualifying|
|(For Merit)||(For Merit)
|Paper I – Essay||2||250||3|
|Paper II – GS I||20||250||3|
|Paper III – GS II||20||250||3|
|Paper IV- GS III||-||250||3|
|Paper V – GS IV||-||250||3|
|Paper VI- Optional Subject Paper I||-||250||3|
|Paper VII- Optional Subject paper II||250||3|
|III. Personality test||-||-||275||-|
Out of 4 to 5 lakh candidates who have appeared in prelim exam only 1000 get selected in the final list. This is called the country’s toughest exam because of huge competition, intense syllabus and exam duration.
Preliminary exam has two parts – General Studies Paper and CSAT. Exam is objective in nature, to clear preliminary exam you need to cross cutoff marks in GS paper I of preliminary exam and should secure minimum qualifying marks of 33% in Paper II/ CSAT paper (Civil services Aptitude Test). There will be negative marking of 1/3rd marks alloted for every wrong answer in both the papers of preliminary examination.
Main exam consists of 9 papers out of which two are optional and descriptive based. Qualifying papers are 2, English and regional Indian language papers. Essay paper, 4 general studies papers and 2-optional papers score will be considered for merit along with score from Interview / Personality test.
UPSC 2018 Civil Services Syllabus
UPSC Civil Services exam is the toughest exam all over the world. If you are planning to appear for this exam, it is important to know the syllabus of exam.
Prelim General Studies Paper – 1
- Current affairs– This subject consists of current affairs of national and international importance.
- History– In this subject, you study about history of India and Indian national movement.
- Geography– In this subject you study about geography of India and world. Geographic subject includes social, economic and political geography.
- Environment– In this subject you know about biodiversity, ecology and issues related to environment.
- Indian polity and governance– This includes constitution of India, panchayat system and country’s political system.
- Economics– Under this subject you study about social programs, poverty, market condition, sustainable development etc.
- General science
Preliminary Paper – 2 (CSAT)
- Problem- solving and decision- making.
- General mental ability.
- Analytical and logical reasoning.
- Data interpretation.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills etc.
Syllabus For Mains Exam
Mains exam and interview decides your ranking. Main exam consists of 1750 marks and interview consists of 275 marks. Mains include 9 papers, among which marks scored in 7 papers is counted for ranking. You need to score qualifying marks in rest two papers i.e. English and regional language paper. The qualifying mark is decided by UPSC for every year. Candidates of north eastern state need to give only English exam and no need to write Indian language paper.
- Paper A
Candidates need to select only one Indian language that is mentioned in 8th schedule of the constitution. North eastern candidates are exempted from this paper.
- Paper B
This paper includes English only.
Final Ranking Papers
- Paper 1 is essay of total marks of 250
- Paper 2 is GS-1. Syllabus includes Indian heritage and culture, world’s history and geography.
- Paper 3 is GS-2 and syllabus are- constitution, economy, international relation and polity, social justice
- Paper 4 is GS-3 and syllabus is technology and economic development, disaster management and security and environment and biodiversity.
- Paper 5 is GS-4 and syllabus is Aptitude, integrity and Ethics.
- Paper 6 – Optional paper 1
- Paper 7- Optional paper 2
For complete syllabus, download Official notification by clicking here
UPSC will release admit card of applicants who have successfully submitted their online application by paying required fee, otherwise exempted. It will be available on official website of UPSC before 3 weeks of Prelim examination. Candidates can expect Prelim admit card in the month of May 2018.
How To Download Admit Card
- Log on to UPSC official website or click here
- Click on Admit Cards button in the right side bar
- Click on E admit cards of Various UPSC examinations link
- Find Civil services 2018 admit card and click on Click here option
- Enter required details like application ID/ Reg. No and DOB and submit
- View/ Download/ Print admit card
UPSC declare Civil services 2018 Prelim result in about 39 days and Mains result in 68 days after examination on its official website. Pdf file with selected list of numbers will be made available on official website.
How To Check Result
- Log on to UPSC website
- Find and Click on Written results
- Find Civil Services Examination (Pre/ Main) Result and click on Pdf file to download
- Check your roll number among the given list
DAF and Other Details
A person who has qualified in preliminary examination should submit DAF form (Detailed Application Form) before last date to appear in the Main examination. A separate hall ticket is required to attend Main examination and e call letter to attend personal interview.
Cutoff marks of UPSC Civil Services Preliminary/ Main and personal interview of previous years will be updated here shortly.
Salary Offered To IAS Officer – when you become IAS officer, you not only eligible for high salary but also get the opportunity to serve the nation. The basic pay of junior level IAS officer is INR 51600 along with this you get government accommodation and vehicle. The Salary of officer increases every year. A cabinet secretary receives a basic pay of 250000. Apart from basic salary, officers are also entitled to other allowances.
Tips To Clear Exam
- Candidates should adopt proper strategy to study. Hard work plus smart work along with consistency is all you need to clear the exam
- You can also join coaching classes or take online classes for your preparation.
- Never lose hope and focus.
- Test your preparation level from time to time by giving mock tests.