UPSC ESE 2023 [Exam Date, Application Form] : UPSC IES 2023 Notification will be released on 14th September 2022 at the official website @upsc.gov.in/. UPSC ESE application form will be available online from 14th September 2022 and the last date of registration is 4th October 2022. Candidates must ensure to fulfill the eligibility criteria in order to apply for the UPSC IES exam and admission to each stage of the exam will be provisional and subject to satisfying the eligibility criteria.
- Candidates must have a minimum of 21 years of age and must have not attained the age of 30 years as of 1st Jan 2023 and must possess a Degree in Engineering to be eligible for IES Recruitment.
- UPSC IES examination will be conducted in three stages, Prelim, Main Exam, and Interview.
- The Prelim examination will be held on 19th February 2023 and the Main examination on 26th June 2023 followed by the Personality Test.
Read further for the details of UPSC IES apply online process, exam pattern, syllabus, admit card, result and cut off, etc.
- Important Dates
- Application Form
- Apply Online
- Exam Pattern
- Selection Process
- Admit Card
UPSC IES Notification 2023
The Union Public Service Commission will release UPSC IES 2023 Notification on 14th Sep 2022 to conduct Engineering Services Examination for Group-A and Group-B posts in various central departments across India. Candidates are required to apply online on the website @www.upsconline.nic.in to appear in the selection process. UPSC has introduced the facility of withdrawing the application forms for the candidates who do not wish to appear in the exam.
Candidates must have details of a Photo ID card while filling up the application form and need to carry the same Photo ID at all stages of examination. Aspirants should go through the official notification of the IES Examination to find details such as the number of vacancies, eligibility, fee, etc.
Download UPSC IES 2023 Notification Pdf
UPSC IES Important Dates
The following are the important dates with respect to IES 2023.
|UPSC IES Event||Date|
|Notification||14 Sep 2022|
|Application start date||14 Sep 2022|
|Last date to apply||4 Oct 2022|
|Prelim Admit Card||Feb 2023|
|Prelim Exam||19 Feb 2023|
|Prelim Result||April/May 2023|
|Main Admit card||June 2023|
|Main Exam||June 2023|
|Main Result||August 2023|
|Personal Interview||Sep 2023|
|Final Result||Dec 2023|
IES Vacancies 2023
UPSC IES 2023 vacancies are around 600 which includes 21 vacancies for persons with benchmark disabilities. Reservation in respect of vacancies will be provided to candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC/EWS and the Physically disabled category.
UPSC ESE 2023 recruitment selected candidates will be placed in the following posts under the categories given.
Group -A/B Services/Posts
|ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING||ELECTRONICS AND TELECOMMUNICATION ENGINEERING|
|Indian Railway Service of Engineers||Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers||Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘B’ (Electrical Engineering Posts)||Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘B’ (Electronics & Telecom Engineering Posts)|
|Indian Defence Service of Engineers||AEE in GSI Engineering Service Gr ‘A||Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers||Junior Telecom Officer Gr ‘B’|
|Indian Railway Stores Service (Civil Engineering Posts)||Indian Railway Stores Service (Mechanical Engineering Posts)||Indian Railway Stores Service (Electrical Engineering Posts)||Indian Skill Development Service|
|AEE(QS&C) in MES Surveyor Cadre||Indian Defence Service of Engineers.||Indian Skill Development Service||Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘A’ (Electronics & Telecom Engineering Posts)|
|Central Engineering Service||Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade‐I (Mechanical Engineering Posts) in Indian Navy.||Central Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Service (Electrical Engineering Posts)||Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade‐I(Electronics and Telecom Engg. Posts) in Indian Navy|
|Central Water Engineering (Group ‘A’) Service.||Indian Naval Armament Service (Mechanical Engineering Posts)||Defence Aeronautical Quality Assurance Service/SSO‐II (Electrical)||Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics and Telecom Engineering Posts)|
|Central Engineering Service (Roads), Group‐A (Civil Engineering Posts)||AEE(Elec & Mech) in Border Roads Engineering Service(Mechanical Engineering Posts)||Indian Defence Service of Engineers||Indian Telecommunication Service Gr ‘A’.|
|Indian Skill Development Service||Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘A’ (Mechanical Engineering Posts)||Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘A’ (Electrical Engineering Posts||Indian Radio Regulatory Service Gr ‘A’.|
|Survey of India Group ‘A’ Service.||Central Water Engineering (Group ‘A’) Service.||Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade‐I (Electrical Engineering Posts) in Indian Navy||Indian Railway Stores Service (Telecommunication/Electronics Engineering Posts)|
|AEE(Civil) in Border Road Engineering Service||Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘B’ (Mechanical Engineering Posts)||Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers|
|Indian Skill Development Service|
IES Eligibility 2023
The interested candidate should make sure that they fulfill the eligibility conditions given in the UPSC IES 2023 notification.
The candidate must be either of the following,
- A citizen of India (or)
- A subject of Nepal (or)
- A subject of Bhutan (or)
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India before 01.01.1962 with an intention to settle permanently in India. (or)
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries Uganda, Kenya, the United Republic of Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Ethiopia, Zaire, or Vietnam with an intention to settle permanently in India.
Candidates belonging to categories 2, 3, 4, and 5 must have a certificate of eligibility that has been issued by GOI.
The candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must have not attained the age of 30 years as on 1st Jan 2023. Hence the candidate must have been born between 2nd January 1991 and 1st January 2000.
The UPSC ESE age relaxation for certain categories is given in the following table.
|Category||Age relaxation details|
|Candidates serving in government organization||5 years on upper age limit|
|Candidates on contract service to government||3 years or depending upon the service period|
|SC/ST candidates||5 years on upper age limit|
|OBC||Up to maximum 3 years on upper age limit|
|Candidates who are ex-servicemen with 5 years military service||5 years on upper age limit|
|Disabled Ex-servicemen (Disable in operations)||3 years|
|Physically disabled candidates||10 years on upper age limit|
|Domiciled in JK during 1 st Jan 1980 t 31 st Dec 1989||Maximum 5 Years|
Minimum Educational Qualification
Following is the minimum educational qualification that a candidate must possess in order to be eligible for IES 2023:
- A degree in Engineering from a University of the Central or State Legislature in India (or)
- Passed Sections A and B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers (India) (or)
- The candidate has obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/College/Institution and under such conditions as may be recognized by the Government for the purpose from time to time (or)
- The candidate should have passed the Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India) (or)
- The candidate must have passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India (or)
- The candidate must have passed the Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959.
UPSC IES Application Form 2023
UPSC IES application form 2023 has been released on the website @ https://upsconline.nic.in/ on 7th April 2023 and the last date to apply online is 27th April 2023. UPSC IES online application consists of part I and part II registration. Part I registration will be filled with personal, educational qualifications, address details of candidates, photo ID details.
Part II registration candidates will have to make a payment, select the center of examination, upload photo, sign & photo ID card, etc. In order to complete UPSC IES online application, candidates will have to go through both Part I & Part II registrations.
UPSC IES/ESE Apply Online Link 2023
UPSC IES/ESE: How To Apply Online?
UPSC IES 2023 online application includes two parts of registration. Steps to complete both registrations have been provided below.
- Open the website of UPSC or click here
- Click on ‘Online Application for Various Examinations of UPSC’
- A new page will be displayed having names of ongoing examinations with a separate registration link
- Click on the ‘Part I Registration’ link available against the examination ‘Engineering Services (Preliminary / Stage I) Examination’
Part I Registration
- Read important instructions
- Click on the ‘Yes’ tab
- Enter personal details such as name, gender, date of birth, father’s / mother’s name, nationality, and marital status
- Select community, minority status
- Select educational qualification
- Enter an address with PIN code
- Enter mobile no.
- Enter your email ID then confirm it
- Click on the ‘Continue’ tab
- If you want to claim age relaxation, select ‘Yes’ otherwise ‘No’
- Click ‘Continue’
- Select any photo ID card
- Enter photo ID card number
- Select the branch
- Select the center for Engineering Services (Main / Stage-II) Examination
- Click on ‘Continue’
- Verify application details, enter captcha then click on ‘I Agree’
- Part I registration is completed now
- Click on the tab ‘Click here for Part II Registration’
- Enter ‘Registration ID’, ‘Date of birth’
- Enter captcha
- Click on ‘Submit’
- If not exempted then make payment by card or by card or by net banking
- After making payment, select the examination center
- Click on ‘Submit’
- Upload your scanned photo
- Upload your scanned signature
- Upload your scanned photo ID document
- Click on the ‘Upload Image’ tab
- Confirm uploaded files then click on the ‘Continue’ tab
- Read and accept the declaration
- Click on the tab ‘I Have read declaration & Agree tab’
- Your registration II is completed now
UPSC IES Fee 2023
The application fee for the IES preliminary examination is Rs 200/-. Candidates belonging to SC/ST/PH/Female are exempted from paying the fee. Candidates can make the payment online using the net banking facility of SBI or by cash in offline mode at the nearest SBI branch.
To pay fees offline using the ‘Pay by Cash’ option, the candidate has to download and print the system generated Pay-in slip during Part-II registration and deposit the fee the next working day only at the counter of the SBI branch. Those candidates who are selected for the Main exam will have to pay an amount of Rs 200/- for the detailed application form (DAF).
The candidate interested to apply for UPSC IES 2023 has to furnish the correct details in the application form, hence for convenience and time saving the candidate should keep the following documents:
- Matriculation Certificate for details
- Soft copy of Identity proof such as Aadhaar card/ Voter ID/ Driving License/ Passport/ PAN etc.
- Scanned photograph of candidate in JPEG/JPG format with size between 20-300kb
- Scanned signature of the candidate in JPEG/JPG format with size between 20-300kb
- Graduation Certificate for details
UPSC IES Exam Pattern 2023
UPSC IES examination is being conducted in three stages which are as follows:
- Stage-I: Preliminary Examination
- Stage-II: Main Examination
- Stage-III: Personality Test
Stage-I: Preliminary Examination
- The preliminary examination will consist of 2 papers held in different sessions.
- The Paper-I is of General Studies and Engineering Aptitude in which there shall be 100 questions of 2 marks which a candidate has to complete in 2 hours.
- Paper-II is of Engineering Discipline in which there shall be 150 questions of 2 marks each which a candidate has to complete in 3 hours.
- The candidate should know that there shall be a negative marking of 1/3rd marks allotted to that question.
Paper Subject Total Questions Time Duration Total Marks I General Studies And Engineering Aptitude 100 2 Hours 200 II Engineering Discipline 150 3 Hours 300 Total 500
Stage-II: Main Examination
- The IES main examination 2023 consists of 2 papers each of 300 marks which the candidate has to complete in 3 hours.
- There are going to be a total of 8 descriptive questions with or without numerical out of which the candidate has to attempt 5.
- The candidate should also know that a non-programmable calculator is allowed in this stage.
|Paper||Subject||Total Questions||Time Duration||Total Marks|
|I||Engineering Discipline-I||There are 8 questions and candidate has to attempt 5.||3 Hours||300|
|II||Engineering Discipline-II||There are 8 questions and candidate has to attempt 5.||3 Hours||300|
|Total ( Stage-II)||600|
|Total ( Stage-I + Stage-II)||1100|
Stage-III: Personality Test
Selected candidates shall be called by the commission for the personality test. The candidate will be called at a predefined time and date where he/she shall answer questions related to engineering, personality, matters related to national and international importance, etc.
|Personality Test||200 Marks|
|Total ( Stage-I + Stage-II+ Stage-III)||1300 Marks|
UPSC IES Exam Pattern 2023 Pdf
UPSC IES Syllabus 2023
The Union Public Service Commission has prescribed a specified syllabus for each stream. In stage-I, the first paper is common to all the aspirants, and here is the syllabus of Paper-I: General Studies & Engineering Aptitude
- Current Issues
- Engineering Aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Ability
- General Principles of Design, Drawing, And Importance of Safety
- Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance, and services
- Basics of Energy and Environment
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering
- Ethics and values in the engineering profession
UPSC clearly specifies that in stage-I of the examination, the paper-II will be engineering discipline-specific. It will contain all the topics specified in paper-I and paper-II of the stage-II examination.
Here is the branch wise detail of the syllabus of each engineering discipline specifically.
- Building Materials
- Solid Mechanics
- Structural analysis
- Design Of Steel Structure
- Design Of Concrete And Masonry Structures
- Construction Practice, Planning, And Management
- Flow Of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines, And Hydropower
- Hydrology And Water Resources Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering And Foundation Engineering
- Surveying And Geology
- Transportation Engineering
- Engineering Mathematics
- Electrical Materials
- Electric Circuits And Fields
- Electrical And Electronic Measurements
- Computer Fundamentals
- Basic Electronics Engineering
- Analog And Digital Electronics
- Systems And Signal Processing
- Control Systems
- Electrical Machines
- Power Systems
- Power Electronics And Drives
Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Basic Electronics Engineering
- Basic Electrical Engineering
- Material Science
- Electronic Measurement And Instrumentation
- Network Theory
- Analog And Digital Circuits
- Analog And Digital Communication Systems
- Control Systems
- Computer Organization And Architecture
- Electro Magnetics
- Advanced Electronics
- Advanced Communications
- Fluid Mechanics
- Thermodynamics And Heat Transfer
- IC Engines, Refrigeration, And Air Conditioning
- Turbo Machinery
- Power Plant Engineering
- Renewable Sources Of Energy
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering Materials
- Mechanisms And Machines
- Design Of Machine Elements
- Manufacturing, Industrial And Maintenance Engineering
- Mechatronics And Robotics
IES Selection Process 2023
UPSC will first conduct the preliminary examination on 19th Feb 2023 and the qualifying candidates will be called to attend the main examination conducted in June 2023. UPSC will call the qualifying candidates in the Main exam for the personality test.
UPSC shall prescribe cut-off marks for the reach category and only those candidates who have secured more marks prescribed by UPSC shall give the next stage examination or personality test respectively. The candidate has to qualify in all the stages in order to get selected.
UPSC IES Exam Date
UPSC IES Prelim 2023 exam will be held on 19th Feb 2023 and the Main exam will be held in June 2023.
IES Admit Card/Call Letter 2023
UPSC IES 2023 Admit Card of Prelim, Main exam and call letter for personality test will be released on its official website. The candidate can expect the release of admit card 15-20 days prior to the date of examination. The candidate is advised to visit the official website from time to time to download the admit card/ call letter.
UPSC IES/ESE Admit card 2023 for the Prelim exam will be released in the 1st week of Feb 2023 and for the Main exam in the last week of June 2023 and for Personality Test in September 2023.
How To Download Admit Card?
Candidates who have applied for IES 2023 can download the preliminary examination admit card 15-20 days prior to the date of examination i.e. 1st week of Feb 2023. Following is the procedure that the candidate has to follow.
- Go to the official website of UPSC@www.upsc.gov.in
- Scroll down and click on the tab “Admit Cards”
- Click on the link ESE 2023 admit card
- A new web page shall pop up
- Choose the option “Enter Registration Number”
- Enter your registration number
- Select your date of birth
- Read the instructions
- Enter the correct security code
- Click submit button
- The admit card shall appear on the screen
- Carefully go through and download it
The same procedure shall be followed for the main exam and personality test stage also but only for the eligible candidates at the appropriate time.
IES Result 2023
UPSC IES Result 2023 will be released on the official website of UPSC. Candidates who have appeared in the IES examination 2023 can check their Prelim result, Main result.
UPSC IES Result 2023 of Prelim exam will be released in April/May 2023 and the Main exam results in Sep 2023. The final result will be declared in November 2023.
How To Check IES Result?
Following is the procedure that a candidate has to follow in order to check IES Preliminary and Main Result 2023:
- Go to the official website of UPSC
- Scroll down and click on the tab “ Written Results”
- Click at the ESE Preliminary (for Stage-I) or Main Result (for Stage-II) 2023 respectively
- A pdf file shall be downloaded
- Open the pdf file
- Press Ctrl+F and enter your roll number
- Eligible candidates shall find their roll number only in the list.
IES Final Result 2023
Those candidates who want to check the IES Final Result 2023 should follow the following procedure:
- Go to the official website of UPSC
- Scroll down and click on the tab “Final Results”
- Click at the ESE 2023 result
- A pdf file shall be downloaded
- The candidate should open the file wherein the following details are mentioned
- Name of candidate
- Marks secured by the candidate in the written examination
- Marks secured by a candidate in personality test examination
- Total marks secured by a candidate in the examination
- Category of the candidate
- Roll number of the candidate
- The rank of the candidate in the examination
- Press Ctrl+F and enter your name
- Selected candidates shall find their details in the list.
UPSC IES Score Card
The candidate interested to check marks secured by him/her in IES 2023 can follow the following procedure:
- Go to the official website of UPSC
- Click on the “Examination” section
- Click on the tab “Marks Information”
- Click on the link named as marks secured by a candidate in ESE 2023
- A new webpage shall open
- Enter your roll number
- Enter your date of birth
- Enter the security code
- Click on submit
- A new webpage shall open up which is the scorecard of the candidate in ESE 2023
IES Previous Year Cut Off
Following is the cutoff marks of ESE 2018 in a tabular form:
|Stage-I (out of 500)|
|Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering||213||206||155||173||125||--|
|Stage-II (Out of 1100)|
|Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering||504||476||403||405||301||--|
|Stage-III (Out of 1300)|
|Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering||660||648||524||567||429||--|
IES Salary 2023
The candidate selected as an IES officer shall receive a basic pay of Rs 57,800 plus other benefits.
UPSC IES FAQ’s
Q. What Is The Minimum Age To Apply For IES 2023?
A. The minimum age to apply for IES 2023 is 21 years.
Q. When Will The Application Form For IES 2023 Start?
A. The application form for IES 2023 will start from 14.09.2022.
Q. Is Calculator Allowed In The Examination Of IES 2023?
A. The calculator is allowed in the stage-II of the examination only.
Q. How Many Attempts Are Allowed To A Candidate For IES 2023?
A. There is no number of attempts for IES 2023, only the age of the candidate matters.
Q. What Is The Age Relaxation For An SC Candidate In IES 2023?
A. For an SC candidate, there is an upper age limit relaxation of 5 years.